Center on Religion and the Global East
The Center on Religion and the Global East at Purdue University has been established to advance the social scientific study of religion in societies of the Global East. The Center on Religion and Chinese Society (CRCS) was started in 2008 to advance scholarship and dialogue on Chinese religions. In 2020, the center expanded its focus to religion in the Global East, including societies in East Asia and the East Asian diaspora. We hope that our research projects and scholarly exchanges will help to deepen scholarly understanding of religions, and will enhance mutual understanding between peoples of the East and West. We would like the CRGE to become a bridge – a bridge between scholars at Purdue University and scholars in other parts of the United States, a bridge between scholars in the West and East, and a bridge between scholars and the public through media, symposia, lectures, and publications.
- Yang, Fenggang. 2019. “The Definition of Religion for the Social Scientific Study of Religion in China and Beyond” in Concepts and Methods for the Study of Chinese Religions I: State of the Filed and Disciplinary Approaches, edited by André Laliberté and Stefania Travagnin. De Gruyter.
- Lu, Yun and Fenggang Yang. 2019. “Does State Repression Suppress the Protest Participation of Religious People?” Sociology of Religion 80 (2): 194-221.
- White, Chris. 2019. “History Lessons: Uncovering China’s Protestant Past Today.” Review of Religion and Chinese Society 6 (1): 126-145.
- Liu, Jifeng and Chris White. 2019. “Old Pastor and Local Bureaucrats: Recasting Church-State Relations in Contemporary China.” Modern China 45 (5), 564-590.
- Liu, Jifeng and Chris White. 2019. “Consuming missionary legacies in contemporary China: Eric Liddell and Evolving Interpretations of Chinese Christian History.” China Information 33 (1): 46-65.
Religiosity, Secularity and Pluralism in the Global East
Yang, Fenggang, Francis Jae-ryong Song and SAKURAI Yoshihide. 2019. Religiosity, Secularity and Pluralism in the Global East, MDPI Books.
Atlas of Religion in China: Social and Geographical Contexts
Yang, Fenggang. 2018. Atlas of Religion in China: Social and Geographical Contexts, Brill Publishers.
Global Chinese Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity
Yang, Fenggang, Joy K.C.Tong and Allan H. Anderson, eds. 2017, Global Chinese Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity. Brill Publishers.
Review of Religion and Chinese Society
Volume 6, Issue 2
David A. Palmer, Folk, Popular, or Minjian Religion?
David A. Palmer, Cosmology, Gender, Structure, and Rhythm
John Lagerwey, The Continent of the Gods
David Ownby, The “Redemption” of Redemptive Societies
PAN Junliang, Rethinking Mediumship in Contemporary Wenzhou
Andrew B. Kipnis, Funerals and Religious Modernity in China
Sign up for the CRGE newsletter